Most people tend to ignore the best meal of the day…..BREAKFAST! Not only is breakfast my absolute all-time favorite meal, it is actually proven to help people attain a healthy weight. How easy is that? Simply eat a decent breakfast every morning and you are already on your way to achieving your healthy lifestyle goals. Making time for breakfast is something I recommend to everyone, no matter what your work/study/exercise schedule is.
Benefits of AM meal
- Eating breakfast reduces your hunger later in the day, so you aren’t ravenous by the time lunch rolls around. This prevents you from overeating.
- Eating breakfast gives you energy! You have been fasting for 8 or so hours and need to replenish your glycogen stores.
- People who eat breakfast are more likely to make healthier food choices throughout the day and have increased physical activity.
- Breakfast is tasty 🙂
(you’ve probably used one of these at some point) ;P
- “I don’t have time for breakfast” –> Prep ingredients the night before and wake up 10-15 minutes earlier. [See ridiculously easy recipe for Overnight Oatmeal below…..]
- “I’m not hungry” –> Eat something small like an orange to start with and eventually you will start feeling hungry in the morning.
- “I don’t like breakfast foods” –>
Whats wrong with you? 😉 You don’t have to eat the typical eggs or cereal, it can be anything! even leftovers from last nights dinner.
I found this recipe on foodgawker.com and is probably the easiest and quickest thing you can make for breakfast. Just let it sit overnight and grab it on your way out of the door!
Easy and delicious. I prefer using agave nectar instead of honey and cutting the brown sugar in half.
Mini Egg Muffins
And for those who are eating paleo, gluten free, low-carb or grain-free, these egg muffins are perfect to make ahead of time and eat on-the-go with a side of fruit.
EAT YOUR BREAKFAST !!
Ever heard of the so called “Master Cleanse” or “Lemonade Diets” that people follow for extreme, rapid weight loss? They are everywhere and they are extremely dangerous! You basically drink this lemonade and cayenne pepper concoction for 10 days straight…. that’s literally all you consume. I was talking to a coworker yesterday about doing these (she did one about a year ago) and after going through this horrific experience, she says “never EVER again.” Well, my first thought is…. as a nurse (which she is) you should know not to do one of these. She experienced shakiness, weakness, fatigue and irritability. Needless to say she lost 10 pounds, but gained half of it back almost immediately after returning to normal food. DUH!
In addition to feeling totally worthless for 10 days…… this cleanse lacks in all of the following: carbohydrates, protein, fat, calories, and pretty much every vitamin and mineral. The only type of “cleanse” that I would recommend is the kind that you take in addition to your normal, healthy diet. In fact, if you are eating well there is actually no need for said cleanse. My point here is that people are looking for a quick-fix weight loss program, when really the only proven way to lose weight AND KEEP IT OFF is by eating right and exercise. Seems pretty simple. But it’s hard. VERY hard. Leading a healthy lifestyle is a daily struggle. So, I’ve come up with the top 5 things that help keep me and my diet balanced.
- Exercise, exercise, exercise.
My bad-A sister and some random dude, CrossFitting!
2. Eat fruits or veggies (or both) at EVERY meal.
Avocado and tomatoes on a turkey taco
3. Portion control
5. Eat only when you are hungry.
Me, chowing down on NYC pizza. Pretty sure I was hungry here ;P
I would suggest incorporating each of these into your current lifestyle, one-by-one. It’s a slow and long process, but will become second nature once you have figured out what works for you!
Happy Friday everyone! And thanks for reading 🙂